February 12, 2009

Bean Machine

A few weeks ago I got a lesson in how to bottle beans. I'd never heard of it before but it makes total sense. No more soaking beans overnight, it's as quick as opening a can but cheaper if you can imagine. I don't think bottling anything could be easier.

We tried them right out of the bottle and then seasoned some and made burritos and they were awesome right out of the jar so you can imagine how yummy they were seasoned.


So I've been on a huge bottling kick and(Erin you'll get a kick out of this) I asked my mom if she had any extra jars and she said she had a few so I went to get them and decided to check in the garage for more and I totally hit a jackpot. She had like 8 boxes full of quart and pint jars almost brand new just waiting for me to rescue them. So I put them to good use. I learned how to bottle chicken now too. My food storage is going to rock! I'll be having Sweet n Sour chicken instead of wheat and powdered milk.



I wish I would have gotten a picture of every jar I've done because there were over a hundred. I've been showing other people how too so if you're at all interested I'd love to show you or at least give you the instructions and a bunch of bean recipes to go with.

Thanks Patrice your lesson was a pebble in the water.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE, help me. I have so many beans and no idea what to do with them. Is there a way you could email them to me? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your bean recipe. AND, you seriously canned chicken? Ok, I definitely want to know how to do this. You rock girl!

Katie said...

I want to know how to do this too!! Can you just make a quick trip to Colorado and we can play Rockband... just to make sure you aren't rusty!! ;-)

Erin. said...

I'm expecting a lesson when we come for Spring Break in April....save some beans to bottle then!! Way to Go Martha!

Kurt and Shelli Barnum said...

You are awesome! I should have you come guest speak to my Foods classes! Interested?!

The Colvins said...

April--I want to learn how to do this too! Will you email me your recipe? kelly.colvin@gmail.com

Meghan said...

I want to learn too! Email me:
Meghanbrooksby@hotmail.com